My Blog List

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Knitting Projects: Hats, a Scarf, Some Socks, and a Dishcloth

Knowing that my BIL, Bob, was spending Christmas on the Oregon Coast and time before New Year's visiting friends and relatives back East, I decided he might need a warm hat since he's used to the relatively mild weather in Palo Alto. Dee supplied me with the link to a fun pattern and here is the Ryan hat:

Our other BIL lives in Minnesota and can always use a warm hat in the winter, this one especially. So, I used some yarn from last year's hat-making and created a two tone version of Ed's Hat, a pattern from the Lionbrand website.

For my SIL, Mary, I made a scarf using a very interesting yarn called Bahamas. That particular Ironstone yarn has huge slubs which make it a little tricky to knit with. I love the color.

And then David asked for a pair of blue socks. For those I used one of the balls of cotton yarn that Jill found in a knitting bag I had given her. The receipt was there too with my name on it, so I reclaimed them and of course, David chose the blue one. What was I going to make with those balls of red, white, and blue? I have no idea, but I sure have enough for quite a few pairs of socks for little feet!

My last big knitting project I can't show till after Catherine's birthday, but I did give her a dishcloth in her favorite colors. She pronounced it "too pretty to use" which got me thinking. How come we have the idea that dishes don't deserve to be washed with something pretty? Oh well, most people have dishwashers now days I guess.

10 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Lovely knitting there girl. I use my pretty dish cloths - oh sorry, my DH uses my dish cloths. He does the dishes lol.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What pretty knitting you've been doing. Hope your holidays were fantastic, and that your new year will be filled with all your favorite things!

Rian said...

My oh my, but what a talented knitter you are. I do not knit, so I am in awe of what you do.

That last picture--the dish cloth--reminds me of those looms we had in the 50s where we made pot holders.

Susan Elliott said...

I like that dishcloth pattern..this year I want to knit up a few different patterns with different yarns and test drive them all to see which ones hold up the best. Do you have any favorites??

Barbara C said...

You've been very crafty! I'm sure your recipients are happy with their gifts. The aprons are really cute. This year I made dishcloths, but someday I'll make aprons for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Glad your Ryan turned out so well. I had a little difficulty with the decreases. I kept dropping stitches.

I know the recipients will sure appreciate the warm ears!

Wildflowerhouse said...

You have been busy young lady. You must be running out of yarn by now. Maybe we need to go shopping. But first I must finish my chores... yes I am feeling better. The Dr. said this crud hangs on so be careful of a relapse.So I have been doing quiet things, like cleaning out closets. LOL Anyhow Happy New Year and hope we can get together in late January!!?!! Sharon

Micki said...

You have been so busy and your knitting is just gorgeous!
Micki

Fünfzigerjahremädel said...

Judy,I wish you and your family a happy and healthy new year!
Greetings from Ulla

Judy D in WA said...

Hi Judy, I love your projects!! Thanks for the link for Ryan's hat-I like that one. And those socks are too cute! I believe pretty and/or bright dishclothes were meant to be used. Just a little dish washing happiness. I love having some in my gift stash for those quick gifts.