My Blog List

Sunday, March 13, 2022

An Interesting Walk and Another Hat

 Yesterday on our walk in a nearby neighborhood we saw 2 young deer and their mama, but that wasn't as surprising as what we saw at the entrance to the Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park. We were so surprised we didn't even get a photo. It was a GOAT on a leash! The rest of our walk was very interesting because we learned some the coal mining history of our area.


                                     

Mama deer had already headed up the hill between 2 houses, and these two were about to follow here.
 


This rock was at the entrance to the Red Town trail.

 
It took us a while to find this old rail car 


and near by was this huge cave



as well as these discards.

 

Thanks to all of our rain, it's not uncommon to see trees in the woods like these that are covered with moss and ferns.


Here's my most recent finish that was inspired by the situation in Ukraine. The Ripples Make Waves pattern is on Ravelry; it's free, but you are asked to donate the cost of it to one of the 3 charities listed.  You can't really tell from this photo, but the top of the hat looks like a sunflower. I plan to  make another one in blue. It's an interesting pattern.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
Have a good week!


9 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Did you know that the flower of Ukraine is the sunflower? I love that it’s on top of the hat.

Betsy said...

Love that beautiful sunflower. We hope all went well and the young man was able to stay awake for his shift.
Take care and thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings,
Betsy

Araignee said...

That cave! How scary looking is that? Imagine going in one to work everyday.
Beautiful hat for a good cause!

Betsy said...

Good Morning! I see I commented above. I have no idea what I was saying. That teaches me to read and comment when I'm half asleep! HA! I'm so sorry about that.
Your walk looks like it was full of surprises. I would have liked to see that goat and the sweet little deer are so cute.
Have a great Monday!
Blessings,
Betsy

Delighted Hands said...

What a wonderful walk--the beauty of animals are such a bonus! Great hat!

Dee said...

You find some beautiful places to walk.

Now that the weather is warming up I hope to get out more.

straythreads said...

Fun to see all your projects , trees and wild life. The trees in my backyard are Black Hills Spruce trees, short needle evergreens..my great uncle Sandy in Ireland called the monkey pod tree a monkey puzzle tree because the branches were so intertwined that it would even puzzle a monkey as to how to climb it.

karen said...

at our old house we had deer that hung out and didn't do much. At our new house the deer walk through the yard and eat EVERYTHING on it's way that it can possibly eat...so it's a challenge to plant things. I never see them though!! Lovely hat!

straythreads said...

South Dakota is too cold for monkey puzzle trees. You have to be hardy to live here