My Blog List

Friday, July 17, 2015

On the Needles and a Bit More

Here's a fun and free pattern if you have a big stash of cotton yarn. It's a pattern for a market bag, and after the somewhat fiddly first row, an easy  way to use up that yarn.  I'm about half way done.


It's mostly an easy to memorize mesh pattern which is supposed to be stretchy and has a "solid" bottom.  There's more than one of these in my future!



This week I bit the bullet and tackled a quilt block for the first time in a while. (My accuracy sure needs some work.) There were some choice words and ripping, but it's done.  The next task will be to put the other blocks together as this is a group project with fabric I brought back from Aachen, Germany, last fall. Everyone's block is different, so it should be a fun quilt.


As you may have already heard, it's been hot (by PNW standards) here lately, very dry also. Look who's claimed the fan!



And look which deceptively cute critter thinks our garden is its own private salad bar:


And last, but not least, look who would like to claim the neighbor's dog as her own:


Big brother's not so sure. Have a great weekend!  And oh, check out Patchwork Times to see what others have on their needles.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your kitty has found the perfect place to survive the heat. Giroux likes to lay on the tile by the fireplace. The cool tile must feel good on his tummy.

Dar said...

That is a cute little market bag, but I'd need it much bigger if I was shopping at the market! Your block looks real good to me. I don't see any problems with seam allowances.

Tired Teacher said...

I've seen knit market bags but have never attempted to knit one. I can't wait to see yours completed.

Love the quilt block AND the fabric. I did a lot of ripping and renewing on a recent project, too: it did not make me a happy camper!

Today was wonderfully cool (mid-70s) and tomorrow should be cooler. Ahhhh, that makes me very happy.

Araignee said...

Pretty bag! I've got a lot of use out of the couple I made a few years ago. The best part is that you can throw them in the wash to keep them clean-much better than plastic.
The quilt block looks like something I would be cussing at too. I hate matching up corners. Yours look perfect!

Tanna said...

The heat has hit here, too.... but, we are just now back to our more normal weather... we had "yours" all spring! I'm with the kitty! ha!

I've had that market bag in my queue for awhile! Yours is making me want to tackle it sooner than later!

Precious little people! Precious, I tell you. =) blessings ~ tanna

Mereknits said...

You have been very busy my friend. Hope it cools off soon.
Meredith

Ramona said...

Your bag is great! I haven't used a bag like that, but have looked at them to buy. Now I can make my own. :) Thanks for the link.

kathy b said...

I want to make that bag! It is sooooo cute.
Thank you for the link.
I love seeing the family photos Judy!

kathy b said...

oh and Cats are smart. They know where to sit don't they!

Becca said...

Hi Judy! Always love seeing your latest projects, and yes, it's hot! Poor kitties just seem to flop over on the cooler hardwood floor.

karen said...

I've knitted that bag and loved it! A fun quick satisfying knit. Love the yarn you picked out.

Caffeine Girl said...

I think your quilt square looks perfect!
I'm in Berkeley, CA, and it is unusually hot here -- or is this the new normal? It's very strange. I've often been cold here in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Yay, you did a quilt block! And it looks great. Blue, what's not to like? =)