My Blog List

Friday, August 13, 2010

Decision Portrait

Last month I was contacted by Susan Lenz after a comment I made on Plays with Needles' blog. Susan had discovered my non-fabric related passion: adult literacy. To my surprise, she asked if I would submit a photo of me and my student so that she could create a decision portrait concerning illiteracy for her upcoming exhibit. My student was a bit reluctant at first, but then he agreed upon the assurance that his name would be kept private. Susan did a wonderful job, and hopefully this portrait will do a tiny part to spread the word that it's never too late to learn to read.

You can read more about Susan and her project on her Decision Portraits blog, or better yet, if you live in the area, visit the City Gallery at Waterfront Park, September 10-October 10, in Charleston, SC, to see her wonderful work for yourself. You can also read more about adult literacy at the ProLiteracy website.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow, I am really impressed by your other passion. I like the portrait so much, the stitching on it and just the whole overall effect. Really well done.

Linda said...

Wow, that is wonderful!I often go to the library and see adults teaching other adults to read...I admire you:)

Neuroknitter said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Kudos!

The quilted portrait is wonderfully done!

Good job all around to both of you!

Rian said...

A grand passion, Judy--applause. It's hard to imagine not being able to read.

Lynn said...

I applaude your involvement in adult literacy. It opens up a whole new world for so many people. Susan's portrait is just awesome!

Barbara C said...

What a wonderful piece! Both you and your student deserve kudos for your fine work.

Kathy... said...

How wonderful is that....in so many ways!!!! Cheers!!!!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a wonderful gift you give! Congratulations!

Micki said...

I was a teacher and worked part time in a program like this.
Micki

Gerry said...

It's so easy to take reading for granted. Kuddos to you for all of your time and efforts!

Pamela Kellogg said...

Judy, I love your garden!!! I watched that video and whoa! Scary!!! Esp. since we live in Northern Illinois. About 15 minutes from the WI border!!!

Susan Elliott said...

It turned out wonderfully! I agree with Gerry. We take so many things for granted...teachers like you make all the difference. SO glad she stitched your portrait...