My Blog List

Friday, August 26, 2016

A Fun Weekend!

Last weekend we had a relaxing time in Newport Oregon at Little Creek Cove, a place we discovered several years ago. We arrived there late in the day because we spent the afternoon in Portland visiting our nephew and his family. It was 106 degrees there, and somehow in the heat we failed to take any photos.  When we stepped out of our car at our destination, we were shocked to discover that the temperature on the Coast was only 55, quite a change in a matter of hours!


This area is so different from Cannon Beach, it's hard to believe.  Lots of sand dunes are between the building and the water's edge.  In fact, it takes a bit of work to get to the water! As any where on the ocean shore, the beach varies with the tide.


The next morning it was very foggy and chilly, but we walked a long ways down the beach because it was low tide.  Everywhere there were clumps of kelp that had washed ashore.




We had to watch our step a bit, too, because things like jelly fish also washed up onto the sand.  I wonder if this one survived until the tide came in?


We were entertained for a while by a sandpiper that was catching bugs hidden in the kelp. It was running to and fro so fast that Dick took a movie, hoping to catch it in action.


Just in case the upload didn't work, here's what  it looked like.


By late morning the fog started to lift and that evening we were treated to a beautiful sunset.


It was a fun place to celebrate our anniversary and all too quickly it was time to head back home.  We drove a short ways up the Coast before heading inland and stopped to take one last look at the Pacific at Cape Foulweather which was named by Captain Cook.  He must have been in a bad mood then, for the weather was wonderful, but with all the rocks, it must have been a difficult area to said through. It's supposed to be a good spot to see whales.



The day after we got back home, we had two surprises.  First there was a wonderful package from Katherine, my swap partner in Kathyb's Dishcloth swap. Aren't I lucky?  (Thanks first to Katherine for all the goodies and also to Kathy B for organizing the swap.)


The other surprise was out in our garden where the sundrop (evening primrose) decided to bloom for the second year in a row.  Our neighbor, another Kathy, gave it to us a few years ago, but it never bloomed until last summer, and hurrah, it decided to blossom again this year. 

 Life is good!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you and Dick had a great anniversary trip.

Love you swap package. The dishcloth that looks like orange slices is amazing!

Araignee said...

55? They would have had to drag me kicking and screaming away from that beach! What a wonderful day....

kathy b said...

so many Kathys so much goodness. LOVE your orange slice dishcloth. I love Katherine!

Tired Teacher said...

Lovely place to celebrate your anniversary, jelly fish and all.

Katherine's dishcloth does look like an orange slice - very clever.

Mereknits said...

Your trip looks wonderful, I could use 55 degrees right now. Love your swap present.
Hugs,
Meredith

karen said...

lovely trip and oh the photos of sand and water!! love them. It seems you got an awesome package for the swap!

Katherine said...

What a great anniversary trip!! I couldn't believe how far the tide was out in the picture. It looks like desert instead of beach. I haven't lived at the beach in a long time and had forgotten that barren-beach look when the tide is out. I do remember stepping over the beached jellyfish though.

I'm so happy you liked the dishcloths! I plan to knit a lot of the citrus slice for Christmas. It is the first time I have enjoyed knitting short row. It was a fun swap and I'm so happy to have found you and your blog. Thanks for the link to mine.

Anonymous said...

Did you get to watch the miraculous opening of that primrose? I used to love to watch them in the woods when we were camping. They would grow in big patches and we could see several each night for a few days.

Your anniversary trip sounds marvelous, and what lovely views. Tell your DH I enjoyed his movie. =)

Betsy said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Newport, Lincoln City, Cape Foulweather are some of our favorite places on the coast. Next time you get over to Spokane we'll have to meet up together. I love to make new friends through this world of blogland. I've made some very, very good friends this way. You received very nice packages in the mail. I had a great time with the dishcloth swap too. Have a lovely weekend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like a lovely getaway for your anniversary! It has been a while since I saw the beach and I miss it! My experience with the Pacific Ocean when I was last in California was that it was hard to visit. I was used to the sandy beaches in Carolina, so I was a little taken aback. But the Pacific has its own beauty and charm, that's for sure! And I've never seen such beauty as when driving along the PCH!!!!

Summer said...

Glad you had a great weekend! Hope your week is a lovely one ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

elns said...

What a wonderful trip! I love the photo of the bird on the beach and the sunset. Makes me wistful for a beach getaway!