My Blog List

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Finally, a New Post! (And Some Finishes)

The grand kids "bug" got us, and finally I'm beginning to feel human again.  The plus side is that I've been knitting . (And little else, oh yeah, reading, too.) One of my resolutions is to pare down the stash, and so far, I've been good.


I finished this aging WIP.  The pattern is fun and a little bit challenging; the yarn has been discontinued, but I found some other colors in my stash so will probably make these again now that I've figured out the stitch.


It's definitely been mitts weather here, but these are part of a trio requested by DD#1 for the texters in her family.  (The blue on the right mitt is more true for some reason.)



 I can't find this free pattern on Ravelry, but this link should work. I've made the mitts twice and the hat once.  They are long and surprisingly cozy.


What do you give someone who's birthday is right after Christmas?  I found a pattern for slippers using Top This hat yarn.  Somewhere on line I read that you should use puffy fabric paint to make them less slippery, so that's what I did. It dawned on me that I could write the birthday boy's name on the bottom of each slipper, so hopefully it will work!  The newest TH choices, including this one, are supposed to glow in the dark, but that's yet to be proven.


I'm saving my last finish for another post, but in the mean time look at what our Norfolk pine is doing.  Now we know why its other name is star pine!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend.


15 comments:

Merry said...

I did not know that Norfolk Pine had another name but it is very apt. Love all you mittens especially the pink/red pair. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Must be nothing worse than feeling sick when it is so cold. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Those slippers are ADORABLE!!! I know Max is just going to love them.

Sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. Hope the bug leaves you alone real soon.

Tired Teacher said...

If the puffy paint doesn't work on those adorable slippers, try the "paint" used to coat (rubberize) tool handles.

Love the red mitts! I need to save the pattern.

Betsy said...

Those mitts are just beautiful. But I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather. There seems to be a lot of bugs going around right now and I think the holidays help spread it all. :-) I didn't know that the norfolk pine did that either. So pretty!
Blessings, Betsy

Araignee said...

Look at all those mitts! You are a machine.

Tanna said...

You are a Mitt Machine, Judy! So nice! I have never seen the "star" on a Norfolk Pine! Loved getting to see that and learn! Look forward to seeing that next FO. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

Mereknits said...

So sorry you have been ill my friend. But look at all you have gotten done! That is a brilliant idea to write Max on the bottom of the slippers. Hugs and feel better,
Meredith

kathy b said...

Oh I cant pick which mitts I like best Judy! The reds, MAYBE.
Glad you are finally getting better! So many got hit hard with the bug this year.
I didnt know about the star on the norfolk pine. That is so neat!
All of your knitting is great and the rubber MAX on the bottom of that gift: perfection

Sharon said...

I’m sorry you had to endure this “bug” It’s not a picnic, but you did get something done while you were “out of it”. I love those purple mitts. And yes, the paint will make a big difference on wood floors. They are so cute. The baby should have fun with them.

Teresa in Music City said...

So glad you are feeling better! It has made its rounds among everyone I know. Such cute mitts! I've made a couple pair, but it's been a while. Love the red ones! And what a great idea to put his name on the sole!

straythreads said...

so many great finishes thanks for the link to the pattern
have a grat week

karen said...

love the design of the first pair of mitts! so pretty, you seem to be finishing a lot of projects...

elns said...

Oh man! I love those mitts! You remind me what a fun and practical knit they are! Thanks for the inspiration ... I think!I'm so easily distracted as a knitter, okay at all things life. ;)

Anonymous said...

So are you wearing something like that for knitting? =) Glad you are over the bug!

Judy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your knitting, and thanks for the link it will be nice for my daughter who lives in Texas. The tip on the puffy paint is great, never would have thought of that.