My Blog List

Friday, March 6, 2020

It's Been Awhile but I Have Actually Finished Something!

Hello!  I don't know what happened to the rest of February, even though it had a whole extra day.  We spent ten days in Florida, so perhaps that's the reason.  We had a nice time there, but we were so busy visiting family and friends that we didn't even do any sightseeing!  I did however bring home a souvenir: fire ant bites all over my feet, especially the left one. Thankfully they've finally quit itching after almost 2 weeks! 


It's now March, and I finally finished a project, a pair of socks.  Somehow I didn't finish even one project last month; maybe I'll make up for that this month? The pattern was a gift from brierqueen entitled "Embossed Leaves Redux"; I could only find this version on Ravelry. It's a fun pattern but requires a bit of concentration.


We just got back from a walk in our neighborhood and saw lots of very welcome signs of Spring, including cherry blossoms and daffodils. In our yard we even have pussy willows.


What is now very tall, so tall that it's impossible to cut a branch or two even with a tall ladder, was once less than two feet tall before we moved it to where it is now.


The other night Ginger got very excited by a visit from this critter and 3 of its siblings.  We were glad a glass door kept them apart as both the cat and the raccoons were right against the glass making unfriendly noises at each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Well that's all the news for now except I just learned that our church services will be streamed online this Sunday because of Covid-19. Choir last night was also cancelled for the first time by something other than snow in the 20+ years we've been members!  Our city is taking this virus seriously. Stay well everyone!

14 comments:

Dee said...

Those socks are beautiful.

The county health department shut down our schools today because of the virus. Apparently, someone had a party and several people from different schools were there. Then that person came down with the virus. So quarantine for everyone that was at the party.

Because the students/teachers were in school last week when they showed no symptoms, but could still be infectious, they closed our schools to disinfect.

Dee said...

P.S. Next time you get ant bites like that, if you can take it, take Benadryl or use topical Benadryl. It really does help with the itch.

Betsy said...

Oh my dear Judy, those bites look terrible. I hope they are completely gone now. The socks are gorgeous. I just peeked at the pattern and I'm tempted to buy it, but I have too many other things on the needles right now.
I haven't heard about any cancellations at our church and in fact, I think they are proceeding with the annual chili cook-off Sunday afternoon. Dennis and I have discussed it though and think we'll be watching our daughter's church who has a live-stream from Omaha. With my heart issues and both of us over 60, we're not taking any chances. He has to go to work everyday and that's enough exposure for me.
It's a scary world out there isn't it? I'm so glad we have God as our refuge and protector as my dear friend Gracie said on her blog today.
Blessings,
Betsy

Araignee said...

Ouch! Those ant bites look awful. We were cutting wood last week and we came upon a nest inside one of the logs and I told The Mister we better back off until we clear out the little critters and he laughed at me. They weren't fire ants but even our regular guys can give me an allergic reaction like that. Thankfully they all packed up and left and that log is now history and stacked in the wood pile.
Daughter is in a tizzy about the virus because the folks that are positive here are in her area. They've been walking around with the virus since they got back from that cruise in February. Of course there is no hand cleaner to be found anywhere anymore. What a mess. Araignee

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I can only imagine the pain and annoyance of the bites. I hope you were able to comfortably wear shoes. Tour knit socks are beautiful: the yarn shows the pattern well. No cases yet in Wyoming, but it won’t be long as all the neighboring states have cases.

Barbara Curiel said...

Ouch, your poor feet! Your socks are amazing, yes, it looks like they took plenty of concentration.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh noes! That's not a nice souvenir. The socks are lovely though.
My poor pussywillow died off last year. I'll have to try again with a new one.

kathy b said...

Oh JUDY~~~~ouch ouch ouch itch itch itch. I would have picked at them all to death. I'm a pimple popper. I would have gone into wound nursing if I didn't have NICU.
ANYHOW, enough about me. YOWZA

Your socks are amazing lady! amazing!

I think we will all be hunkering dOWN IN one way or another soon. I bought peanut butter and jelly, cat food, and made my own granola . Froze milk for the first time bc I read that it is possible. I have flour and yeast and sugar and salt so there will be bread!

Be careful. I hope that those in situations where this could really hurt , are spared from it. The kids at our barn I hope never have to deal with it. Many of them are so immobilized anyhow. It could be awful.

SO I pray. We have sunshine and perhaps 60 tomorrow. !!!!! Alleluia!

Gracie Saylor said...

Soooo sorry you had to endure all those bites, Judy!!! Your beautiful socks inspire me to put some more time in my effort to knit more socks. It is years since I last made a pair. We are still scheduled to have church services tomorrow, but lots of public awareness and precautions being taken in the groups I meet with.

Mereknits said...

Judy, I so feel for you! Fire ant bites are the worst. Do you know they have the same type of venom as a wasp? That is why they hurt so much. It takes forever for them to go away. Hope they did not ruin your trip to Florida. And I hope you had nice weather while you were here, it has been such a mix of cold and warm. Have a wonderful week.

Delighted Hands said...

Yowza to the ant bites--I fester up from them, too! Cursed things!
The flowers are just around the corner, I hope. The raccoon is an exciting visitor; as long as the glass door stays shut! lol

karen said...

southern bugs are the worst. My husband had numerous bites from ants that were so itchy!! love your socks.

kathy b said...

Hi Judy. Its Tuesday march 24. Hoping my dear pal, YOU ......are doing just fine. We are good. Zach cannot come home right now due to restrict but he is very very happy!

Judy S. said...

I just tried unsuccessfully to post on two different blogs?