My Blog List

Thursday, February 16, 2017

More Fun in the Sun

On this chilly afternoon I've been looking at some more  photos from our recent trip to Arizona and remembering the warm, sunny days.  We spent an interesting afternoon exploring Montezuma's Castle National Monument, trying to imagine what it must have been like to live in this dwelling. Can you imagine climbing the ladder to get up here and trying to carry anything?  




Have you ever tried to grind wheat? Or Corn?


On the way back to Phoenix, we drove to Sedona and then through the Oak Creek Canyon where we spotted this waterfall. There was lots of snow in Flagstaff.


My sister and brother-in-law took us to Madera Canyon for a pleasant hike along the river. (This is also where we saw all those birds.)



The bark on this Alligator Juniper fascinated me.


We enjoyed relaxing and visiting with friends and relatives and also looked forward to the beautiful sunsets and starry skies at night.


And just before leaving the area, we drove to Taliesin West but didn't have time for a tour. Next time maybe?

On the way to the airport, we saw a first, this cell tower disguised as a palm tree.  I guess you'd not have to water it!  And yes, I did a little knitting, too.


When I saw this Daisy Stitch in a couple of patterns, I just had to give it a try. Both sides are interesting.  Soon I will try the mitts pattern where I saw it first.


The blue one is one of my go-to patterns, Grandma's Favorite.  I have another favorite started with the leftovers: the Almost Lost Dishcloth. Both are fun to do.


I haven't finished any projects lately except for these two dishcloths, but I have been working on some socks that I hope will one day be finished.  Stay tuned for that event!

13 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

The castle is amazing and was definitely a secure location. I wonder if it was only used as an escape rather than everyday living. It would be fascinating to visit Wright's home.

kathy b said...

we went to the Castle as well! and to the Park's lecture there. Such gorgeous country. Hooray for dishcloths Judy! Love the purple. the winner on the Kelly RIpa show who played the game yesterday was from Bellvue!
I thought of you !!!

Araignee said...

What gorgeous scenery! That's a part of the world I have yet to explore.

Anonymous said...

We went to Montezuma's Castle a few years ago. It was one of my favorite places. We also went to Montezuma's Well which was a little way from there. We talked to one of the park rangers and got so much interesting little tidbits about that time.

Can you imagine keeping your babies safe up in the cliff dwelling???

Betsy said...

I've always wanted to visit that area. You took some beautiful pictures there. I like your Knitted dishcloths. Both are quite beautiful. The grandma's favorite is one of my favorites too.
Blessings, Betsy

Tanna said...

Pretty amazing how they crafted that castle in the side of that rock! I would have been fascinated by that Alligator Juniper, too (well, I guess I AM fascinated by your photo!). LOL! Lovin' those discloths! blessings ~ tanna

karen said...

I am enjoying your sunshine photos immensely! I have seen those cell towers disguised as trees too around here somewhere on the east coast...I want to say Massachusetts but cannot remember. I thought "clever". Lovely wash clothes the perfect no nonsense knitting project for traveling.

Anonymous said...

You saw some of my favorite places! I expect the people climbing those ladders were in a lot better shape than we are. LOL I don't know if anyone mentioned that the doors are short for a reason - the enemy, should he get up that far with the ladders pulled up, would have to bend over to come in, making him more vulnerable. Clever, eh? It might have been in the Gila cliff dwellings in NM where I learned that, though. Did you stop at the marvelous quilt shop in Sedona? I don't suppose you went sliding down slide rock, wearing away a layer of jeans? LOL It's what the young people's church groups do frequently, as well as other groups. Oak Creek is one of my favorite canyons. Did you stop at the store there along the creek? How I miss my desert! (yes, it's ALL mine! LOL)

Frieda said...

Such wonderful photos ! Arizona is on my bucket list of places to visit . My SIL lived there for a few years when she remarried and my in laws visited her there for a time every winter . They loved it ! She's now in Florida , so Arizona may wait a bit yet .

Those dishcloths/ washcloths are so nice . I have made my fair share of the grandmothers' favourite as well .

Teresa in Music City said...

My favorite is the alligator tree! What an amazing trip :*). And thanks for the reminder to look up your "other favorite" - I've been meaning to make up a few of those for ages!!!

Caffeine Girl said...

What a lovely trip. I've heard so many great things about Sedona. And who doesn't love a waterfall!
Those ancient stone dwellings are fascinating. I would have had a short life if I'd had to climb to that house!
The Seattle trip is back on for early August. Still trying to pin down dates.

elns said...

I have always wanted to visit Sedona. Your AZ trip looks fantastic. I want to daisy stitch too. You've sold me!

Moira said...

Ooh, travels to one of my favorite states. Glad you had a good time in Arizona. =)