My Blog List

Monday, January 25, 2016

No, I Haven't Disappeared!

It's been a while since I last posted, and here's the reason. I've been spending every spare minute working on this hat which should have been mailed off a few days ago. It's called an Andean Chullo and should be pretty warm, but boy, was it ever a project.  Additionally, I was trying to finish the 650 page book John Adams for this morning's book group.  Both were accomplished, and now I can get back to something easier in both the reading and knitting departments!



Before I started the chullo, I did make a quick baby hat at the request of my son for his friend who's soon to be a dad.  I have a pair of booties and a tiny pair of socks on my needles as part of this as well.



As far as what else is happening on the home front,  We took an overnight trip to Port Townsend last Friday but headed home on Saturday as it was pouring.  (Our room looked right out onto the water, and the place was within walking distance to the ferry terminal. One of the rooms was where scenes from the movie The Officer and the Gentleman was filmed.)



Then yesterday we spent much of the day with the grand kids in Magnolia which had been the site of a yarn bombing!  I heard a little girl say, "Oh, look! That tree is wearing a sweater."  Just about every other tree on both sides of  the main drag was "dressed" that way, too. I guess magnolia trees and their friends need to keep warm?!



Oh yes, someone asked me how often the bromeliad blooms. After the flower blooms, the parent plant dies! (It is a succulent that is related to the pineapple.) As the flower blooms, the plant usually sends up a new shoot, so life goes on! This plant was a Mother's Day gift a long time ago!



Well, Mocha is reminding me that it's time for her dinner, so I'll sign off for now. Have a great week!

15 comments:

Araignee said...

Not enough loves in the world for how I feel about your chullo!

karen said...

love that hat!!! the colors are stunning :)

kathy b said...

Judy...you are a skilled knitter. That Chullo is adorable! Good to see you posting Judy!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! That is one very ambitious hat project my friend!!! And what a beautiful job you've done on it!
Glad to know you haven't disappeared :*)

Tired Teacher said...

Wow, the chullo is gorgeous - how could you ever part with it!

The concept behind yarn bombing escapes me: that effort and the materials used could be used to keep people warm.

Unknown said...

The Chullo hat is a beautiful knit - yes, I'll say that kept you busy!! Plus, reading!

The yarn bombed trees are kind of cute, and surely put smiles on faces!

Caffeine Girl said...

Wow! That hat is really a masterpiece. I love South American knitting. The patterns and colors are so arresting.

elns said...

whoa you really have had challenges in the knit and read realm! The baby hat is classic and cute. Thumbs up! I've never done one like that before. More importantly booties. I have never done booties, are they difficult do you have a pattern you recommend?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that little girl's comment. That was funny-sweet. I can see why you were buried in that hat. It looks complicated with lots of changes.

Janet said...

Your Chullo is amazing. What a great gift! And I love the tree sweaters.

Jeanne said...

That Chullo looks like one complicated pattern, but it turned out so nice! You have some talented fingers.

Mereknits said...

You have been making great use of your time away. That hat is absolutely fantastic.
Hugs,
Meredith

Pat said...

LOVE your Chullo hat - gorgeous rich colors!

straythreads said...

beautiful hat well done! I have never done color work thanks for sharing the pics of the trees with sweaters

Merry said...

What an amazing pattern on the Chullo, you must have had balls of wool everywhere. Beautiful work. Someone has been busy with all those tree warmers…looks so great.