My Blog List

Friday, July 11, 2014

Another Friday Already! (UPDATED)

Lady Kina is progressing nicely which is a good thing since we are heading toward mid-July, and she needs to be done by the end of the month!  My, the summer is just flying by, even faster than it usually does.  We have been blessed with unusually nice weather this month, and the garden chores keep multiplying, so knitting time has been mainly in the evenings.



This pattern is worked from the top down, and the sleeves have been completed so there are fewer stitches now for the endless rows of stockinette.....about 10 more inches to go.  This project is the perfect place for a very special button my sister brought me from their Alaska trip a couple years ago.  Here it is close-up so you can read its interesting story.



A bit of my time recently was spent trying to remember how I made a macrame plant holder years ago.  It had gotten really dirty and then broke, so I had to make a new one even though the string I used wasn't to be found. The hardest part was threading the string through the beads because the holes were small, and the thread frayed.  However, Fray Check saved the day!  In the original holder the bottom threads were untwisted which made threading the beads a whole lot easier.  This thread was woven around a core, but I still managed to thread all but 2 beads, thanks to Fray Check. The Hoya plant is happily hanging back inside where it belongs.



Back in April came the notification that I'd won the OPAM drawing, and a couple of weeks ago the package arrived all the way from Australia with this lovely little quilt inside.  Sweet Peg of Happy in Quilting persisted in her efforts to get this to me after I sent her my address with a typo. Thank you, Peg; I love it!  And it's very happy in the center of our dining room table. (And thanks to Susan, I have now added the photo!)



And now it's time to get back outside.  In posting the above photo, I noticed the ivy is climbing the tree again....not good.  Off to the rescue.  Have a nice weekend! (Don't forget to check Patchwork Times to see what others are knitting!)

15 comments:

Nancy said...

I used to have a Hoya and loved the waxy leaves.

The whale button is going to be lovely on your sweater.m

Mereknits said...

Your knitting is looking beautiful Judy. I LOVE that button, I have some bone buttons I bought in Alaska when I went there on a cruise years ago.
Hugs,
Meredith

kathy b said...

I love all the straight knitting after the top down challenges!
I'm off to check the other's knit ups

Ramona said...

Your sweater is going to be beautiful, especially with the special button from your sister. Boy, reading about your macrame brought back some memories. I did a ton of that "back in the day"... using ceiling tiles to anchor the cording and knotted away.

Anonymous said...

You did a good job on the plant hanger. I remember making those back when I lived in PA.

If I hung anything from the trees now, the squirrels would make SURE it didn't stay hanging. They chew UP EVERYTHING!!!

Mary said...

Your sweater is going to be beautiful and I love the color.

karen said...

lovely sweater on the needles just perfect for summer knitting! I bet you will be finished in no time at all :)

Anonymous said...

Love the color of that yarn. Am I the only one who doesn't see a picture of your OPAM winnings?

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a little cutie, all fancy with prairie points and everything. Lucky you!

Janet said...

Lady Kina is such a pretty pattern and I love that great blue yarn.

Unknown said...

The whale button is going to be the perfect accent for the sweater. I'm looking forward to the next picture!

Lucky you, to have won that beautifully quilted piece. Wowza. What a nice surprise!

Caffeine Girl said...

That is going to be a great sweater, especially with such a cool button!

Dar said...

Your sweater is looking good and I do like the color a lot. With that special button, it's sure to be one of your favorite garments.

elns said...

I'm so impressed you're knitting bonafide garments in the summer. I keep prepping to cast on just a tank ... but then I don't.

You sound like you have a lot of good times going on. Summer is definitely going by fast. Enjoy.

Tanna said...

Hey, Judy!! I've missed my friends! Sounds like you have been a busy bee, too! That button is wonderful! I can't wait to see it in place!

I'm pretty impressed that you whipped that macramé hanger out! I'd still be scratching my head I suspect. hee hee.

blessings and hugs ~ tanna