My Blog List

Monday, December 27, 2010

Update and Two Scarves

Update: Surgery went off without a hitch, and I was sent home that very evening. Except for a day's worth of nausea from the anesthesia, everything was fine until early Christmas morning. Apparently my heart decided things were boring and went dancing off on a rhythm all its own. Yes, I had a very stubborn case of atrial fib. that didn't resolve despite the Urgent Care team's best efforts until I got back home. That meant yet another trip back to the hospital to make sure that said heart really was behaving, and now I'm happily on the mend. Hallelujah!

So, we had our Christmas feast yesterday in the true spirit of Boxing Day. And then we learned that it really was an historic day. David lost his first tooth! We were a witness to the new gap, thanks to Skype, and all I can think is, "How did this child get to be almost six already?" Here's a photo of the DD#1's whole family, enjoying the snow at Lake Geneva. All that snow makes me shiver!

It's a good thing I finished this little sweater since it seems to fit just perfectly at the moment.

And then there's this little guy who seems to grow before our very eyes. Here he is, watching our choir concert, thanks to modern technology and the fact that all services are streamed live. (Wouldn't our parents be amazed? Horrified?)

Only a couple of knitting projects haven't been shared. This scarf is made from Trendsetter's Soleil yarn and was FUN to knit.

I tried the same pattern (Yarn Harlot's One Row Handspun Scarf)in Cleckheaton with equally good results. I love this pattern and am so grateful to have found it on Stitches of Violet's blog. It is so easy and looks great in any yarn!

Having observed David's teacher standing outside daily to help the children find their parent's cars, I decided that she needed a hat to survive the Chicago winter. I well remember playground duty days with a lot of sympathy!

That is my update for now, except for a report on the Advent Calendar scarf. Needless to say it is not finished, but I am well ahead of the game for next year as I'm almost done with Day #7! Yeah! (It's about time to get back to the Christmas SAL, don't you think?)

22 comments:

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Judy! Happy Christmas! Like your celebrtion and your scarf knitting, I'm a little behind! :0) So glad to hear your surgery went smoothly ... apart from an attention seeking heart rythm! :0) Hope you're completely back on deck again soon. Bear Hugs! KRIS

Kathy A. said...

Glad to hear that your surgery went smoothly Judy. That little blip on the radar must ahve been scary. Glad it was no more than a blip.
Your knitting is wonderful! and your granddaughter looks so sweet in that sweater.

Dorothy said...

So glad that you are on the mend despite the little bump in the road. May the New Year bring you good health and good knitting! Our knitting group is going to do the Advent Scarf as a year long project - two patterns per month.

Barbara C said...

I hope the rest of your recovery goes more smoothly. Thanks for sharing your knits: that violet scarf is especially pretty--what great embellishments.

Anonymous said...

Oh yikes --- that's scary! Glad your heart decided to behave and you could be home to enjoy the holidays.

Love the picture of David watching you on the computer. I think MY family would love being able to keep up electronically, especially Steve's Nana. She was SO cool!

Love Sophie's sweater. I swear that little girl is going to be a model. She poses so nicely in all her new knits!

Cranberry Morning said...

Judy, what a week you've had! Yikes! I am so happy to hear that all has settled down now and that you're on the mend. Your knitting is just gorgeous! Each item is simply a work of art. How lucky are those children to get those wonderful family heirlooms!

Cranberry Morning said...

I can't seem to find that scarf pattern. I've scoured the site you linked to, but for some reason it is eluding me! Beautiful scarves, by the way...especially like it in that gorgeous blue!

Janet said...

Judy, I'm so glad you're doing well now. You have a lovely family! The scarves and hat are so pretty. Ahhh, the Christmas SAL . . . I kept getting distracted this year. Maybe I'll get that finished by Christmas 2011. ;-)

Wendy said...

Hi Judy, so glad surgery went well and your heart started behaving. Glad that your time with family was good. Take care.

Neuroknitter said...

So glad to hear the surgery went well and your heart is on the mend!! Best wishes for continued healing and good health!

What a lovely family you have!! :)

Happy almost New Year!!

Linda said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better...I love all the scarfs and the little sweater is very cute!
Happy New Year!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Your heart was just dancing for joy at the celebration of Christmas, family, and fun stitching! I'm so glad you are adjusted now, and on the mend. Your family is precious, and your pieces are very nice! I know the school attendant will be happy with the pretty, warm topper! Take care, my friend!

Carol B. said...

Good to hear that your surgery went well other than your heart's little bid for attention. Hope the rest of your recovery is speedy and uneventful.

As always your knitting is lovely.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Good grief girl! I am happy that your heart has decided to settle down. The second week will be fine with me. Just let me know. Take care missy, we need to shop....!(or at least lunch)

Rian said...

So glad to hear all is well and it's all behind you. That is some amazing knitting there! (I have knitting envy...)

Fünfzigerjahremädel said...

Judy,also I wish you and your family a good and healthy new year!
I like your scarfs and especially the wonderful embellished violet one!
All the best for you,Ulla

Lynn said...

Glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are healing nicely despite the episode with your heart.
Loved the family pics. I hope that you and your family have a healthy and prosperous New Year!

Library Gal Quilts said...

Dear Judy, very glad to hear you are on the mend! I just am always amazed at your beautiful knitting! I just love those hydrangea socks! Your family is so adorable and those little sweeties sure are growing fast! Happy New Year and blessings each day of 2011, Pam

hakucho said...

Wow, that must have been a scare with your heart problem...but I'm glad you are feeling better now and the best part...the surgery is over...yay :)
That little sweater is so adorable. I love the little ruffles! Those scarves are beautiful. The embellishments on the purple one makes it really a one of a kind item. Such a cute hat with the top knot. I bet all the recipients were thrilled :)

Happy New Year :)

Lynn said...

Glad you are doing better! Lovely knitting. Have a wonderful New Year!

Linda Vincent said...

Hi Judy...what great family photos (and such neat knitting :-)
I hope you are feeling much better now and ready to take on this New Year!!
Best wishes
Linda x

allie aller said...

Very glad you are well on the mend...a great way to start the new year, having all of that behind you.
Happy stitching...and knitting!